Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Moments

There are a thousand moments in any given day that I want to write down so I don't forget them.

Alas, the day gets busy, and by the time I settle my tired bones at night, the adorable moments have flown out of my memory. Yesterday, I swore I would write some of them down. That's what blogs are for, after all!

Moment 1-

Grace got REALLY frustrated with Emma and told me she wanted to SELL her.

"Where would we sell her?" I asked.

"To farmers!" Grace cried. "They could use her. She likes animals and would work hard."

Moments later, they were playing wonderfully together, and all thoughts of farmers were forgotten.

Moment 2-

Emma and Grace told me that their friend Shane up the street likes to play with them more than the other neighborhood kids because they have "imagination"- something the other kids lack.

"You have to have a lot of imagination to play on our cul-de-sac," said Emma seriously. "We have bikes and scooters, but that's about it. We make believe a lot."

Moment 3-

The girls have been sleeping in my bed this week since Jeff is gone on a four-wheel-drive trip. We have had crazy girls times, including "littlehood" stories, philosophical discussions, and fits of giggles. They have been arguing over who will sleep closest to me. We've watched movies, read books, and scratched backs. I am in Heaven. I think about how much I wanted a little girl, and God gave me TWO. He doubled my heart's desire. He's fancy that way!

Moment 4-
We went 4th grade shopping. (Gasp...my little ladies are going to be in 4th grade!) We bought rolling backpacks, binders, folders, markers, highlighters, pencils, correcting pens, and crayons. I don't think I ever had to buy so many school supplies growing up. The school provided them. But this year, the school gave us a fourth grade list, and we followed it to a T. There is something about school supplies that makes me very happy, even if it is only August. (We go back so dang early here!) I love the smell of a box of new pencils. I love the fresh, clean look of a new back pack and lunch bag. I realize that in a month, everything will have a dirty grunge to it. The lunch bag will be stained with food, the back pack will have a greyish grime around the edges, the erasers on the pencil will we worn down by miswritten math problems. I like things right now- new, and shiny, and perfect. Organized! It reminds me of the feeling after you've cleaned your house, and everything just FEELS right. Then that goes away and you have to start all over again. Back to school....ahhhh....I remember my mom scrubbing every inch of our bodies before that first day. She trimmed our nails, cleaned our ears, and put lemon and vinegar on our hair to take the green chlorine stains out of it. It was the cleanest we were all year.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love moment #3 :)