Sunday, December 26, 2010

Weirdness...A Confession


It is my belief that we all have touch of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I realize that some people are debilitated by it, and I'm not talking about that degree of the disorder. I'm talking about the weird little habits we have...our own little rituals to even the balance of this crazy world.

Minor clean freak stuff doesn't count. I admit, I don't touch doorknobs or shopping carts with my hands. I use a paper towel on the door and a wipe for the cart. There must be millions of people who feel this way about germs because they have trash cans by the bathroom doors now and wipes for the cart almost everywhere you go. Logically, this doesn't make sense. I spent most of my childhood not caring about germs at all. I remember being at Disneyland as a small child and my mom telling me to remove my chin from where it was resting on the metal fence near where you wait in line. I didn't see the problem with resting my chin there. Heck...I may have even licked the fence without a problem. (I didn't...) It didn't matter that thousands of germy people touched that fence on a daily basis. I had no fear of germs.

But germ awareness is not what I'm talking about. No, no, no. I'm talking about my weird obsessive compulsive habit of "unwinding." How does this work? If I turn around to look at something, I feel the need to unwind by turning back the way I came. I don't like turning in a complete circle because I feel like I'm out of balance...like I've wound up and need to go back to "zero." It's hard to explain because it's WEIRD. I admit it!

Another example of my OCD? I have an aversion to odd years. I don't like them as much as even years. I liked 2010 because it was an EVEN year. This weird belief doesn't really hold up because some of the most beautiful things in my life have happened to me during odd years. The girls were born in 2001. I was married in 1995. Both were good odd years. But I still prefer even years. I was born in 1972. I graduated from high school in 1990. Those were good years too! Nothing about this weirdness makes sense.

One more weird confession...and I don't know if you can call it OCD. It's probably just odd...I tend to think of numbers and silverware as male or female. Number 3? Male. Number 9? Female. With silverware, I think the weirdness stems from the way I remember how to set the table. The fork (a male) goes on the left side of the plate. He is in love with the spoon (a female) who is being held hostage on the right side of the plate by the knife (a male), who insists on being between the fork and the spoon. The knife's sharp edge is pointed toward the fork.

Weirdo! Strange, strange, strange.

But I know others have crazy OCD/Weird/Strangeness. If you relate, leave a comment. It will feel good to get it off your chest. I won't laugh at you...promise. :)

No comments: